Find information on thousands of medical conditions and prescription drugs.
Oral contraceptives come in a variety of formulations. The main division is between combined oral contraceptive pills, containing both estrogen and progesterone, and progesterone only pills (mini-pills). Combined oral contraceptive pills also come in varying types, including varying doses of estrogen, and whether the dose of estrogen or progesterone changes from week to week. more...
Combined oral contraceptive pills
All contain the estrogen ethinyl estradiol, although in varying amounts, and one of a number of different progesterones. They are taken for 21 days with then a 7 day gap during which a withdrawal bleed (often, but incorrectly, referred to as a menstrual period) occurs. These differ in the amount of estrogen given, and whether they are monophasic (only one dose of estrogen and progesterone during the 21 days) or multiphasic (varying doses).
These are given as 21 tablets of estrogen and progesterone, followed by 7 tablets of placebo. Different formulations contain different amounts of estrogen and progesterone:
- 20 mcg estrogen
- 0.1 mg levonorgestrel (Alesse®, Levline®)
- 1 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin 1/20®Fe)
- 30 mcg estrogen
- 0.15 mg levonorgestrel (Levlen®, Levora®, Nordette®)
- 0.3 mg norgestrel (Lo-Ovral®)
- 0.15 mg desogestrel (Desogen®, Organon; Ortho-Cept®, Ortho-McNeil)
- 1.5 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin® 1.5/30)
- 3.0 mg drospirenone (Yasmin®)
- 35 mcg estrogen
- 0.25 mg norgestimate (Ortho-Cyclen®)
- 0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-35®, Warner Chilcott)
- 0.5 mg norethindrone (Modicon®, Brevicon®)
- 1 mg norethindrone (Ortho-Novum 1/35®, Necon®, Norethin®, Norinyl 1/35®)
- 1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/35®, Zovia 1/35E®)
- 50 mcg estrogen
- 0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-50®, Warner Chilcott))
- 1 mg norethindrone (Necon 1/50®, Norinyl 1/50®, Ortho-Novum 1/50®, Ovcon-50®)
- 0.5 mg norgestrel (Ovral®)
- 1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/50®, Zovia 1/50E®)
- Desogestrel 0.15 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg x 14 tablets, followed by ethynil estradiol 0.01 mg x 2 tablets, followed by 5 tablets of placebo (Kariva®, Barr Laboratories; Mircette®, Organon)
- Desogestrel 0.1 mg ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by desogestrel 0.125 mg and ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by desogestrel 0.15 mg and ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by 7 tablets of ferric oxide (Cyclessa®, Organon; Velivet®, Barr Laboratories)
- Norethindrone 0.5 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg x 7 tablets, followed by 0.75 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 mg of ethinyl estradiol x 7 tablets, followed by 1 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 of ethinyl estradiol, followed by 7 tablets of placebo (Ortho-Novum 7/7/7®)
- Norethindrone 0.5 mg and 0.035 mg of ethinyl estradiol x 10 tablets, followed by 1 mg norethindrone and 0.035 ethinyl estradiol x 11 tablets, followed by 7 tablets of placebo (Ortho-Novum 10/11®)
Read more at Wikipedia.org
• [List your site here Free!]
Bristol-Myers Squibb. and an estrogen . - Branded News - Gets FDA approval last month for Ovcon 35, a spearmint-flavored, chewable oral contraceptive containing|
Bristol-Myers Squibb.(Branded News)(Gets FDA approval last month for Ovcon 35, a spearmint-flavored, chewable oral contraceptive containing a progestin ...
From Drug Store News,
by James Frederick
First chewable oral contraceptive - Updates - Ovcon 35 - Brief Article|
A first-of-its-kind tablet is the latest addition to the selection of oral contraceptives available to women. Ovcon 35, approved by the FDA in November ...
From FDA Consumer,
21st-century protection; with so many great new birth-control methods available, finding the right one for you just got a whole lot easier|
If you think your biggest birth-control decision is choosing which pill to take or deciding whose condom to use--his or yours--you haven't looked into ...
by Lynya Floyd
A chewable, flavored contraceptive - Birth-Control Update|
If you like the convenience and effectiveness of oral contraceptives but dislike swallowing pills, the new Ovcon 35 Chewable may be for you. The chewable, ...
Barr Confirms FTC Lawsuit Related to Generic Ovcon-35® License|
FTC and State Attorney Generals Seeking to Nullify Ovcon-35(R) Agreement Between Barr and Galen WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Nov. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ ...
From PR Newswire,
The good news about cancer - Web Watch|
you can reduce your risk Experts say that 50 percent of all U.S. cancers could be prevented if people took basic steps to reduce their risks. For a personalized risk assessment for 12 of the most c
Quantum sufficit: just enough|
Your patients with allergies may not be thrilled that prescription-strength allergy medication is now over-the-counter (OTC), according to survey findings cited in American Medical News. Of 239 a
From American Family Physician,
by Sarah Evans
FDA approves chewable oral contraceptive: spearmint flavored|
A spearmint-flavored, chewable formulation of a combination oral contraceptive already on the market was approved last month by the Food and Drug Administration.
From OB/GYN News,
by Elizabeth Mechcatie