Find information on thousands of medical conditions and prescription drugs.
Oral contraceptives come in a variety of formulations. The main division is between combined oral contraceptive pills, containing both estrogen and progesterone, and progesterone only pills (mini-pills). Combined oral contraceptive pills also come in varying types, including varying doses of estrogen, and whether the dose of estrogen or progesterone changes from week to week. more...
Combined oral contraceptive pills
All contain the estrogen ethinyl estradiol, although in varying amounts, and one of a number of different progesterones. They are taken for 21 days with then a 7 day gap during which a withdrawal bleed (often, but incorrectly, referred to as a menstrual period) occurs. These differ in the amount of estrogen given, and whether they are monophasic (only one dose of estrogen and progesterone during the 21 days) or multiphasic (varying doses).
These are given as 21 tablets of estrogen and progesterone, followed by 7 tablets of placebo. Different formulations contain different amounts of estrogen and progesterone:
- 20 mcg estrogen
- 0.1 mg levonorgestrel (Alesse®, Levline®)
- 1 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin 1/20®Fe)
- 30 mcg estrogen
- 0.15 mg levonorgestrel (Levlen®, Levora®, Nordette®)
- 0.3 mg norgestrel (Lo-Ovral®)
- 0.15 mg desogestrel (Desogen®, Organon; Ortho-Cept®, Ortho-McNeil)
- 1.5 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin® 1.5/30)
- 3.0 mg drospirenone (Yasmin®)
- 35 mcg estrogen
- 0.25 mg norgestimate (Ortho-Cyclen®)
- 0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-35®, Warner Chilcott)
- 0.5 mg norethindrone (Modicon®, Brevicon®)
- 1 mg norethindrone (Ortho-Novum 1/35®, Necon®, Norethin®, Norinyl 1/35®)
- 1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/35®, Zovia 1/35E®)
- 50 mcg estrogen
- 0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-50®, Warner Chilcott))
- 1 mg norethindrone (Necon 1/50®, Norinyl 1/50®, Ortho-Novum 1/50®, Ovcon-50®)
- 0.5 mg norgestrel (Ovral®)
- 1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/50®, Zovia 1/50E®)
- Desogestrel 0.15 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg x 14 tablets, followed by ethynil estradiol 0.01 mg x 2 tablets, followed by 5 tablets of placebo (Kariva®, Barr Laboratories; Mircette®, Organon)
- Desogestrel 0.1 mg ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by desogestrel 0.125 mg and ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by desogestrel 0.15 mg and ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by 7 tablets of ferric oxide (Cyclessa®, Organon; Velivet®, Barr Laboratories)
- Norethindrone 0.5 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg x 7 tablets, followed by 0.75 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 mg of ethinyl estradiol x 7 tablets, followed by 1 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 of ethinyl estradiol, followed by 7 tablets of placebo (Ortho-Novum 7/7/7®)
- Norethindrone 0.5 mg and 0.035 mg of ethinyl estradiol x 10 tablets, followed by 1 mg norethindrone and 0.035 ethinyl estradiol x 11 tablets, followed by 7 tablets of placebo (Ortho-Novum 10/11®)
Read more at Wikipedia.org
• [List your site here Free!]
Watson gets OK for generic Daypro, Ritalin, Loestrin|
The Food and Drug Administration recently approved three abbreviated new drug applications from Watson: oxaprozin, methylphenidate hydrochloride and microgestin. Oxaprozin is the equivalent to G.D.
From Drug Store News,
St. John's wort may not curb OC effectiveness|
LOS ANGELES -- St. John's wort does not appear to interfere with the antiandrogenic effects of oral contraceptive pills, Robin Fogle, M.D., said at the annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic
From OB/GYN News,
by Jane Salodof MacNeil
Top 50 pharmaceutical packagers|
Top 50 Pharmaceutical Packagers RANK COMPANY 2003 REVENUES (IN $ MILLIONS) 1 PFIZER INC.
From Food & Drug Packaging,
You routinely administer combination drugs. . .but do you know what's in them? To find out, match each combination of ingredients in section II with its ...
by Gever, Marcy Portnoff
Consent decrees: effect on consumers, companies, and investors: in recent years many pharmaceutical companies have entered into consent decrees with FDA,|
A consent decree is a legal agreement that is reached between a company and FDA. It is usually reached as a result of a company's continual nonconformance ...
From Pharmaceutical Technology,
by Suggy S. Chrai
Contraceptive rights - Policy & Practice|
Barr Laboratories Inc. will soon hold the exclusive rights to Loestrin (norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol) and Loestrin FE (norethindrone acetate ...
From OB/GYN News,
by Mary Ellen Schneider
Galen Holdings - Chain Pharmacy: Supplier News - Brief Article|
Galen Holdings last month received Food and Drug Administration approval for its Femring (estradiol acetate vaginal ring), the first vaginal estrogen ...
From Drug Store News,
by James Frederick
Oral contraceptives are medicines taken by mouth to help prevent pregnancy.
From Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine,
by Nancy Ross-Flanigan