Find information on thousands of medical conditions and prescription drugs.
Oral contraceptives come in a variety of formulations. The main division is between combined oral contraceptive pills, containing both estrogen and progesterone, and progesterone only pills (mini-pills). Combined oral contraceptive pills also come in varying types, including varying doses of estrogen, and whether the dose of estrogen or progesterone changes from week to week. more...
Combined oral contraceptive pills
All contain the estrogen ethinyl estradiol, although in varying amounts, and one of a number of different progesterones. They are taken for 21 days with then a 7 day gap during which a withdrawal bleed (often, but incorrectly, referred to as a menstrual period) occurs. These differ in the amount of estrogen given, and whether they are monophasic (only one dose of estrogen and progesterone during the 21 days) or multiphasic (varying doses).
These are given as 21 tablets of estrogen and progesterone, followed by 7 tablets of placebo. Different formulations contain different amounts of estrogen and progesterone:
- 20 mcg estrogen
- 0.1 mg levonorgestrel (Alesse®, Levline®)
- 1 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin 1/20®Fe)
- 30 mcg estrogen
- 0.15 mg levonorgestrel (Levlen®, Levora®, Nordette®)
- 0.3 mg norgestrel (Lo-Ovral®)
- 0.15 mg desogestrel (Desogen®, Organon; Ortho-Cept®, Ortho-McNeil)
- 1.5 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin® 1.5/30)
- 3.0 mg drospirenone (Yasmin®)
- 35 mcg estrogen
- 0.25 mg norgestimate (Ortho-Cyclen®)
- 0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-35®, Warner Chilcott)
- 0.5 mg norethindrone (Modicon®, Brevicon®)
- 1 mg norethindrone (Ortho-Novum 1/35®, Necon®, Norethin®, Norinyl 1/35®)
- 1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/35®, Zovia 1/35E®)
- 50 mcg estrogen
- 0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-50®, Warner Chilcott))
- 1 mg norethindrone (Necon 1/50®, Norinyl 1/50®, Ortho-Novum 1/50®, Ovcon-50®)
- 0.5 mg norgestrel (Ovral®)
- 1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/50®, Zovia 1/50E®)
- Desogestrel 0.15 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg x 14 tablets, followed by ethynil estradiol 0.01 mg x 2 tablets, followed by 5 tablets of placebo (Kariva®, Barr Laboratories; Mircette®, Organon)
- Desogestrel 0.1 mg ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by desogestrel 0.125 mg and ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by desogestrel 0.15 mg and ethynil estradiol 0.025 mg x 7 tablets, followed by 7 tablets of ferric oxide (Cyclessa®, Organon; Velivet®, Barr Laboratories)
- Norethindrone 0.5 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg x 7 tablets, followed by 0.75 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 mg of ethinyl estradiol x 7 tablets, followed by 1 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 of ethinyl estradiol, followed by 7 tablets of placebo (Ortho-Novum 7/7/7®)
- Norethindrone 0.5 mg and 0.035 mg of ethinyl estradiol x 10 tablets, followed by 1 mg norethindrone and 0.035 ethinyl estradiol x 11 tablets, followed by 7 tablets of placebo (Ortho-Novum 10/11®)
Read more at Wikipedia.org
• [List your site here Free!]
The good news about cancer - Web Watch|
you can reduce your risk Experts say that 50 percent of all U.S. cancers could be prevented if people took basic steps to reduce their risks. For a personalized risk assessment for 12 of the most c
Alopecia in women - Problem-Oriented Diagnosis|
Alopecia can be divided into disorders in which the hair follicle is normal but the cycling of hair growth is abnormal and disorders in which the hair ...
From American Family Physician,
by C. Carolyn Thiedke
Saw palmetto is an extract derived from the deep purple berries of the saw palmetto fan palm (Serenoa repens), a plant indigenous to the coastal ...
From Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine,
by Ken R. Wells
Oral contraceptives are medicines taken by mouth to help prevent pregnancy.
From Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine,
by Nancy Ross-Flanigan
Evaluation and management of patients with hirsutism - Tips from Other Journals|
Hirsutism, an excessive growth of androgen-responsive terminal hair in women, must be distinguished from hypertri-choses, excessive growth of vellus or ...
From American Family Physician,
by Richard Sadovsky
Counterfeit pills buy prison time - Lantor Corp. sells phony Ovulen-21|
Counterfeit Pills Buy Prison Time * A pharmacist in Racine, Wis., noticed that the brand name on some Ovulen-21 tablets was spelled wrong. * A pharmaceutical ...
From FDA Consumer,
by Dixie Farley
drugstore.com Launches Consumer-Friendly Drug Interaction Checker|
Business Editors, High-Tech Writers BELLEVUE, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 14, 2000 Easy-to-Understand, Physician-Endorsed Drug Information Expands ...
From Business Wire,