Find information on thousands of medical conditions and prescription drugs.
Clomipramine (brand-name Anafranil®) is a tricyclic antidepressant. more...
- Depression with lack of energy or mild agitation
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorders (OCD)
- Panic attacks with or without Agoraphobia
- chronic pain with or without organic disease, particular headache of the tension type
- Enuresis (involuntary nightly urinating in sleep) in children / adolescents
- Off label, sometimes antidepressants of this type have been found helpful in reducing relapses in cocaine addicts and to help repair cocaine-caused neurotransmitter imbalances and early brain damage. Further studies are needed for Clomipramine in this regard.
It may take 2 to 3 weeks before the full effects of this medication are noticed in all indications.
- Concomitant therapy with an (irreversible) MAO-Inhibitor (e.g. Tranylcypromin, Phenelzin)
- Acute intoxication with central depressants (alcohol, psychoactive drugs, narcotics)
- States of confusion (caution), absolutely contraindicated in patients with coma and Delirium tremens
- Patients with massive agitation or anxiety (give sedative drugs concomittantly)
- Hypersensitivity/Allergy against Clomipramine or other related tricyclic compounds
- Hypertrophy of the Prostate with urine retention (=difficulty in urinating)
- Caution : Hypertrophy of the Prostate without urine retention
- Preexisting closed angle glaucoma
- Epilepsy and other conditions which lower the seizure-threshold (alcohol-withdrawal, active brain tumors)
- Serious liver disease (elimination is decreased), if Clomipramine is given consider dose reduction
- Serious kidney disease (elimination is decresed), if Clomipramine is given consider dose reduction
- Severe hypotension, shock, serious cardiovascular dysfunction (postinfarctous states, heart insufficience, arrhythmias), avoid high oral doses or injections/infusions
- Preexisting bone marrow depression (leukopenia, thrombopenia, anemia, pancytopenia), can be worsened by Clomipramine
- Overfunction of the thyreoid gland makes the patient more sensitive to side-effects of Clomipramine. Cautious doses should be used and the overfunction should be treated.
- Caution should be exerted when treating pediatric patients under 18 yrs. of age
Clomipramine is the 3-chloro derivative of Imipramine. Clomipramine is a strong, but not completely selective Serotonic-Reuptake-Inhibitor (SRI), as the active main metabolite Desmethyclomipramine acts preferably as inhibitor of Noradrenaline-Reuptake. Other hydroxy-metabolites are also active. Alpha-1-Receptor blockage and beta-down-regulation as well as postsynaptic antagonism on H1 (histaminergic)-receptors have been noted. A blockade of Sodium-channels and NDMA-receptors might, as with other tricyclics, account for its effect in chronic pain, particular of the neuropathic type.
Read more at Wikipedia.org
• [List your site here Free!]
|Anafranil: A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, And Annotated Research Guide To Internet References $32.66||
Alfresa Pharma to Become Distributor of Anafranil Antidepressant|
Tokyo, Japan, Oct 15, 2005 - (JCNN) - Alfresa Holdings and Novartis Pharma jointly announced on October 11 that they have agreed on the production and distribution of Anafranil, Novartis Pharma's
From JCNN News Summaries,
How to take an antidepressant: it's no longer enough to treat depression; it's necessary to banish it. What's the best drug for that? It boils down to|
fifteen years ago, Prozac launched a revolution. It rendered depression a disorder that was--finally--safely treatable. The torrent of prose hailing ...
From Psychology Today,
by Hara Estroff Marano
Safeguards for children taking antidepressant strengthened|
The Food and Drug Administration has announced a strategy to warn patients, their caregivers, and physicians about the possibility of an increased risk ...
From FDA Consumer,
by Carol Rados
Homeopathy can benefit patients with OCD|
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) cost the United States $8.4 billion in 1990 in social and economic losses, nearly 6% of the total mental health bill of $148 billion. (1) Such a staggering stati
From Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients,
by Daniel Ko
Drugs hold hope for Parkinson's, obsessive-compulsive patients - Anafranil|
Drugs Hold Hope for Parkinson's, Obsessive-Compulsive Patients Parkinson's disease patients and victims of a mental condition called obsessive-compulsive ...
From FDA Consumer,
Corrections - To: "Perioperative Management of Diabetes" in January 1, 2003 issue, p 93 - To: "Clinical Quiz" in October 1, 2002 issue, p 1348 - Correction|
The article "Perioperative Management of Diabetes" (January 1, 2003, page 93) contained an error in the rate of insulin infusion. On page 95, in the ...
From American Family Physician,
Clinical Quiz - continuing medical education|
Clinical Quiz questions are based on selected articles in this issue. Answers appear in this issue. American Family Physician has been approved by ...
From American Family Physician,
Psychotropic drug interactions with grapefruit juice|
Most of us have become acquainted with the cytochrome P450 (or just P450) enzyme system, which is the metabolic pathway for a significant number of psychotropic ...
From Perspectives in Psychiatric Care,
by Keltner, Norman L